How your podiatrists in Brandon, FL, can help when you have an ingrown toenail
Ingrown toenails are painful and ugly. You may not want to show off your feet because of an ingrown toenail. They can make it difficult and painful to put on shoes too. Your podiatrist is an expert at treating ingrown toenails and can help you get back on your feet.
Dr. Brandi Johnson and Dr. Mark Leitner at Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists in Brandon, FL, provide a wide range of podiatry services, including treatment for an ingrown toenail. They proudly serve residents of Brandon, and Tampa, FL, areas.
So, how do you know you have an ingrown toenail? You will:
- Feel pain and pressure in your toe and under your toenail
- See swelling, redness, and bruising on your toe
- Experience fluid or pus draining out from underneath your toenail
Did you know you can do a lot to prevent ingrown toenails? Remember to:
- Cut your toenails straight across with no rounded corners
- Avoid cutting your toenails too short
- Wear shoes with plenty of room for your toes
Even with the best prevention, you can still develop an ingrown toenail. You can try some simple tips at home to get some relief. You can try:
- Soaking your toes in warm water several times each day
- Placing dental floss under your toenail to guide the toenail above your skin
- Applying antibiotic cream and bandages to your toenail
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
For stubborn, painful ingrown toenails that don’t respond to home therapy, you need to visit your podiatrist. Common professional treatments for an ingrown toenail include:
- Lifting and separating your toenail from your skin
- Trimming the ingrown section of your toenail
- Removing your toenail completely so a healthy toenail can grow in its place
To learn more about prevention and treatment of an ingrown toenail, call Dr. Brandi Johnson and Dr. Mark Leitner at Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists, serving residents of Brandon, FL, and Tampa, FL, areas. You can reach them in the Brandon, FL, office by calling (813) 571-2977, so call now.